The mighty splendor of the Ottawa River and the ever-changing moods of the Gatineau Hills are the signature theme of the award winning artist Margaret Chwialkowska. In her mesmerizing oil paintings, fantastical colors and dramatic textures transform familiar riverbanks into emotional soulscapes. She wants to capture the feeling of being overwhelmed by the natural, almost magical beauty of a landscape. Margaret paints alla prima, blending pigments on canvas with a palette knife. This technique permits a loose, spontaneous style allowing textures to evolve naturally.
Born and educated in Poland, Margaret has lived in Canada since 1979 and continues to be moved by the power and richness of the North American landscape. She has painted landscapes in the Northwest Territories, Ontario’s lake country, and southern California.
She wants her art to be positive, free, beautiful and romantic – something you cannot live without. She is represented by Art Galleries and her works are in private and corporate collections in Canada, US and Europe.
Margaret is a loyal supporter of the Ottawa Riverkeeper, an organization dedicated to protecting the ecological health and future of the Ottawa River. Her Art Studio Tour-Fundraiser became a celebrated annual event.
“Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love.” (Claude Monet)
CURRENT & UPCOMING EXHIBITIONS
February 12 - March 17 - Mosaic, Trinity Gallery, Schenkman Arts Centre, 254 Centrum Blvd, Ottawa, ON
February 17 - March 8 - Passion for Colour, Foyer Gallery, Nepean Sportsplex, 1701 Woodroffe Avenue,Ottawa, ON. http://foyergallery.com
March 31 - April 19 - Collectively Different, Foyer Gallery, Nepean Sportsplex, 1701 Woodroffe Avenue,Ottawa, ON. http://foyergallery.com
Click on the thumbnails to see a larger image.
- "Winter Afternoon, Gatineau", wins Viewer's Choice Award at the Foyer Gallery Exhibition "Art Beat", January 2015.
- "introspective in Coral" makes "TOP 10" in Landscape in Motion Art Competition by ArtExhibeo Magazine, 2014.
- "Waiting for Spring, Ottawa River" wins Viewers' Choice Award at the Foyer Gallery exhibition "A Season of Lights", January 2015.
- "Introspective" Series wins "Public Choice Award" at the International Exhibition " The Illusion of Reality" at the Galleria De Marchi in Bologna, Italy, December 2014.
- Ottawa Life Magazine, November 2014.
- I am honored to have my painting featured in the Italian ArtJournal Art Mgazine , November / December 2014.